Detailed Missile Loads: MISDL
Fast-running program MISDL employs elements of classical aerodynamic theory, including vortical theory. The software package predicts overall aerodynamic performance coefficients and detailed aerodynamic loading distributions on the body and lifting surfaces of flight vehicles, including:
missiles, munitions, mortars, aircraft, UAVs, etc. MISDL can model configurations with circular and noncircular bodies, including those with chines. The finned sections can have planar, triform, cruciform, and low profile fin layouts. Fin planform can be arbitrary. Effects of rotational rates (damping) and of nonuniform flow are included. The overall and detailed aerodynamics predicted by these programs are useful to aerodynamic, structural, and control system engineers.
As an option, MISDL can be linked with the NEAR store separation program STRLNCH for detailed aerodynamic analysis of store carriage loads and trajectories.
MISDL is available for Windows and Linux computers subject to license fees and a software license agreement. Delivery to foreign contries requires U.S. State Department export license. NEAR recommends a two-day training course which includes interpretation of the output and "hands-on" code running.
MISDL Database Generation Example
Canard-Tail Missile with body and fin vortex shedding and wake tracking
2400 flow conditions, M∞, αc, φ, and δ
Intel Core2 2.33 GHz processor
64 CPU minutes, 1.60 seconds/case
Up To 3 Fin Sections
Up to 8 fins per fin section
Arbitrary fin planform shape
Arbitrary attachment and dihedral angles
Folded and wrap-around fins
Aerodynamic Quantities Computed
Overall 6-DOF forces and moments:
axial, side, and normal forces
rolling, pitching, and yawing moments
Fin forces and moments:
fin axial and normal forces
fin hinge and bending moments
Body pressure distribution
Fin load distributions
Detailed axial force breakdown
Range of Flow Parameters
Subsonic - supersonic Mach number
(fin loads valid to Mach 6.0)
Angles of attack up to 30 deg
Roll angle arbitrary
Fin control deflection angles to 20 deg
Important Modeling Features
Nonlinear effects of body and fin vortices
Damping effects due to rotational rates (p,q,r)
Effects of user-specified nonuniform flow
Detailed output file
TECPLOT ® compatible files
Spreadsheet compatible files
- Lesieutre, D. J. and Quijano, O. E. "Studies of Vortex Interference Associated with Missile Configurations," AIAA-2014-0213, Jan. 2014.
- Lesieutre, D. J. "Nonlinear Aerodynamic Predictions of Aircraft and Missiles Employing Trailing-Edge Flaps," AIAA-2014-0055, Jan. 2014.
- McDaniel, M. A., Evans, C. and Lesieutre, D. J., "The Effect of Tail Fin Parameters on the Induced Roll of a Canard-Controlled Missile," AIAA 2010-4226, Jun. 2010.
- Lesieutre, D. J., Love, J. F., and Dillenius, M. F. E., "Prediction of the Nonlinear Aerodynamic Characteristics of Tandem-Control and Rolling-Tail Missiles," AIAA-2002-4511, Aug. 2002.
- Lesieutre, D. J., Dillenius, M. F. E., and Gjestvang, J., "Store Separation Simulation of Penguin Missile from Helicopters," AIAA 2002-0278, Jan. 2002.
- Lesieutre, D. J., Dillenius, M. F. E., and Gjestvang, J., "Application of MISDL/KDA Aerodynamics Prediction Method to Penguin Missile," AIAA 2002-0277, Jan. 2002.
- Dillenius, M. F. E., Lesieutre, D. J., Hegedus, M. C., Perkins, S. C., Jr., Love, J. F., and Lesieutre, T. O., "Engineering-, Intermediate-, and High-Level Aerodynamic Prediction Methods and Applications," Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 36, No. 5, Sep.-Oct. 1999, pp. 609-620.
- Lesieutre, D. J., Dillenius, M. F. E., and Lesieutre, T. O., "Missile Fin Planform Optimization for Improved Performance," RTO-MP-5, Missile Aerodynamics, Nov. 1998.
- Dillenius, M. F. E., Lesieutre, D. J., Perkins, S. C., Jr., and Love, J. F., "Prediction of Nonlinear Missile Aerodynamics with Applications Including Store Separation," RTO-MP-5, Missile Aerodynamics, Nov. 1998.
- Lesieutre, D. J., Dillenius, M. F. E., and Lesieutre, T. O., "Multidisciplinary Design Optimization of Missile Configurations and Fin Planforms for Improved Performance," 7th Symposium on Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization, St. Louis, MO, AIAA-1998-4890, Sep. 1998.
- Lesieutre, D. J., Dillenius, M. F. E., Love, J. F., and Perkins, S. C., Jr., "Control of Hinge Moment by Tailoring Fin Structure and Planform," NEAR TR 530, Nielsen Engineering & Research, Mountain View, CA, Dec. 1997.
- Lesieutre, D. J., Lesieutre, T. O., and Dillenius, M. F. E., "Optimal Aerodynamic Design of Advanced Missile Configurations with Geometric and Structural Constraints," NEAR TR 520, Nielsen Engineering & Research, Mountain View, CA, Apr. 1997.
- Lesieutre, D. J., Lesieutre, T. O., and Dillenius, M. F. E., "Planform/Configuration Optimization Program OPTMIS for Arbitrary Cross Section Configurations With Up To Two Fin Sets - Software User's Manual and Software Programmer's Manual," NEAR TR 519, Nielsen Engineering & Research, Mountain View, CA, Apr. 1997.
Aero Software Licensing and Training
Missile Aerodynamics Prediction: MISL3
Detailed Missile Loads: MISDL
Euler Solver: NEARZEUSIN (with Inlets) /ZEUSBL
Aircraft Store Separation and Carriage Loads Analysis: STRLNCH
Aircraft Unsteady Maneuvering: SHAMAN
Unsteady Hydrodynamic Analysis: SUBFLO_2
User’s Training for all NEAR Software
State Department Export License and TAA Preparation as Required